One of the most popular, legendary and classic trek route to explore in Nepal in March is the Annapurna Base Camp Trek.
It offers everything that a trek to the land of Himalayas entails. Annapurna Base Camp trek in March offers a great chance to experience the perfect blend of diverse nature and cultural exploration.
In this magnificent trek, you can explore the diverse landscape, flora, and fauna along with the local ethnic villages.
You also get some of the best views of the surrounding mountains of the Annapurna region in March due to less humidity and stable weather.
- Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
- Weather Conditions and Temperature during ABC Trek in March
- Trek Difficulty of Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
- Accommodation during ABC Trek in March
- Meals and Drinks during ABC Trek in March
- Festivals in March
- Extra Tips during ABC Trek in March
- Final Say,
Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
- Clear and spectacular view of mountains peaks like Mt. Dhaulagiri (8167 m), Mt. Annapurna 1st (8091 m), Mt. Manaslu (8163 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7041m), Mt. Fishtail or Mt. Machhapuchhre (6998 m), Mt. Hiunchuli (6441 m), Mt. Lamjung Himal (6986 m) and other surrounding mountain peaks.
- Pokhara: Annapurna Base Camp Trek starts and ends in Pokhara, the city of lakes. March is a beautiful, clear and dry month to enjoy the lakes and relax at the city.
- A 360-degree Panoramic sunrise view amidst the mountain range from Poon Hill. You can see mountains like Dhaulagiri (8167 m), Annapurna (I) II, III, IV; Annapurna South (8091 m) and Gangapurna (7455 m). You can also see Lamjung Himal (6983 m), Nilgiri (7061 m), Tukuche Peak (6920 m), Hiunchuli (6441 m), and Manaslu (8156 m).
- Diverse floras and faunas of the Annapurna region.
- The hospitality of local ethnic people in the villages along the trails including the local Gurung and Magar.
- Some of the most beautiful and blossoms of rhododendron, lush green bamboo, and alpine trees.
- Moderate temperatures and low winds- the ideal weather conditions for trekking in Nepal
- Peaceful routes and plenty of hotels to stay
- Beautiful sunrise and sunset view
- Longer days to walk freely without rushing for the final destination
- A celebration of Holi and Ghode Jatra (festivals of Nepal)
- Spectacular views of the glacier from Annapurna Base Camp
- A warm bath in the natural hot springs
- Aroma of different flowers along the trekking trail will keep you enchanted.
- Kali Gandaki- the deepest Gorge
Weather Conditions and Temperature during ABC Trek in March
March is when nature comes out of its winter slumber. The local flora and fauna come into life. You can enjoy the beautiful, spring aroma in the lower regions of the trek.
The actual trek on foot for Annapurna Base Camp trek begins at an altitude of around 1900 m. The highest point you reach on the trek is Annapurna Base Camp at 4130 meters. Hence, the temperature and weather conditions you experience on the trek can be diverse.
For the most part, the temperature in March is neither too hot nor too cold. The trekking trails are clean and dry with no snow.
March offers crystal clear views. The average daytime temperature at lower altitudes is around 10 degrees Celsius during sunshine.
As you go higher, the colder it becomes. From 4000 m, you can experience freezing cold temperatures in the evenings and early mornings. At this altitude, the daily temperatures are around -4 to -8 degree Celsius. The nights are colder.
In the lower region, you will walk through red, white, pink and yellow blooms of Rhododendrons and many wildflowers. You can also see the beauty of green terraced fields, quaint Gurung villages.
In March, you get an outstanding view of Mt. Annapurna (8091m), the 10th highest mountain in the world from the base camp (4130m). You also get clear, panoramic views of Mt. Machhapuchhre (6997m), Glacier Dome, Gangapurna (7454m), the unclimbed Fang (7647m) and many more.
During early March, you may get some light snowfall. This won’t affect the views as much rather it will add beauty to your Annapurna Base Camp trek in March.
Trek Difficulty of Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
Annapurna Base Camp trek is a moderate trek suitable for almost anyone. You don’t need an advanced physical fitness level nor any previous trekking experiences to do this trek.
Anyone who can walk 5-7 hours for the duration of the trek while carrying a light day pack can do this trek.
In March, the trails are dry with a sweet aroma of the local flowers. The trekking trails to the Annapurna Base Camp Trek are more-or-less flatlands. It does consist of ups and down but it mainly consists of crossing silvery brooks and vast woodlands.
You can enjoy the trek in dry, warm and stable weather in the Annapurna region.
The highest elevation of this trek is at 4130 meters at Annapurna Base Camp. You will not spend many days at this altitude. Hence, chances of Altitude sickness is much less than some other high altitude trek.
If you walk slowly, maintain good hydration level, stick to your acclimatization schedules, then you can do this trek with ease and comfort.
If you are new to trekking or physical fitness, then training for ABC for some weeks before the trip is a good idea. This enhances your strength and stability. It is also a good morale booster.
Past hiking experience is not a must yet, can be beneficial for this trek.
Do consult with your doctor before taking on this trek. This way, you can take any precautions and safety measures needed for the trek.
Individuals with pre-existing medical conditions should inform your guide or trekking partner. This way, they can take the necessary steps if needed.
Accommodation during ABC Trek in March
March is one of the busiest months for treks in the Annapurna region. With beautiful weather and fabulous natural beauty, all the lodges, tea houses on the trails are open. You will not find much difficulty in getting your choice of rooms.
You will trek from one tea house to the next as you continue your trek. However, due to the popularity of trails, there are also options of homestays and lodges along the way.
The tea houses along the ABC trek are very comfortable, clean and great places to relax. You get the feeling of a home-stay in most of them.
During March, you are bound to meet other trekkers and enjoy a little warmth from the stove while you eat or chat in the evening before sleeping.
In March, you can get single rooms with ease in Kathmandu, Pokhara and the lower regions of the trek. As you trek higher, the choices will become less.
Meals and Drinks during ABC Trek in March
During the ABC trek, the locals do expect you to eat where you stay. This is true for most tea houses along the trails. More luxurious lodges may not have this expectation.
Most tea houses earn from meals and drinks they serve rather than from lodging. Hence, you will find rooms for rates as low as US$2 a night.
The tea-houses offer you a place to stay and enjoy the dinner. They will serve you anything from the lodge menu. The choices in your menu also decrease with the increase in altitude.
Being one of the popular trails, the food options are wider than some less popular trails.
For meals, you have options that include Nepali cuisine as well as some more common international dishes.
Some common dishes are eggs ( prepared the way you like it), chapati (a bread prepared in a local way), cereals with milk, and sandwiches. It also includes dishes like fried potatoes, noodles, macaroni, pudding.
The local dishes include the popular Dal-Bhat-Tarkari, Thukpa, momo, packet noodles.
For drinks, you can have tea, coffee, plain warm water, bottled water, flavored hot and cold drinks, and soft drinks.
These tea houses also sell local as well as branded alcohols. If you intend to drink, do so on the journey back. (alcohol does increase the risk of AMS).
Festivals in March
Festivals are a great way to get a glimpse into the local culture. During March, you can witness two different festivals in Nepal.
Holi: It is the festival of color to welcome spring. It is mostly celebrated by Hindus with colors and water. The lower regions of the Annapurna Base Camp trek do enjoy the festival.
Ghode Jatra: This festival mainly in the capital city and surrounding areas. The celebrations do differ from area to area. If you are in the capital during this day for your trek, be sure to enjoy the festival.
Extra Tips during ABC Trek in March
- If you order Nepali meal set of Dal Bhat Tarkari, you can take seconds and thirds for free, except for meat items. Eat as much as you like.
- Carry enough cash to last you for the duration of the trek. The ATMs on the trails are not reliable. Most tea houses and cafes don’t accept card payments.
- Set aside some money for entry fees for monasteries, museums along the way.
- The weather is unpredictable in the high altitude areas. Bad weather can hit the Annapurna region even in March. So, add some contingency days as you might need an extra day for acclimatizing, bad weather or to explore one more place.
- Packing the right essentials for your Trek in March is important. It can make your trek more comfortable and easy. Most of the trekking essentials are available for buying and renting in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Take proper precautions against AMS/altitude sickness.
- Spring is a busy season at Annapurna region. The trekking trails, tea house or lodges may have lots of trekkers. So, meals may take a little longer to cook. Order and book early so you get what you prefer.
- Early mornings, nights at high altitudes are cold. Make sure to pack some warm clothes and other accessories for the trek.
- Maintain your own pace during the trek. Do not rush.
- Always hydrate yourself properly. This helps to keep high altitude illnesses at bay and also improves your comfort level.
- Take some extra snacks with you. These can include energy bars, chocolates, and other instant energy providing foods. These are great for instant energy and boosting morale.
- In case you see any symptoms of Altitude Sickness, do not hesitate to notify your guide or a partner. Stop your ascent and descend down to a lower altitude.
- Always ask before clicking someone’s picture. Maintain the regular code of conduct for photography.
- For beginners and novice trekkers, standard itineraries are preferable for high altitude treks such as this. For professional and seasonal trekkers, you can try the short itineraries if you desire.
Are Hot Shower Facilities Available on the Trek?
There are hot shower facilities available for the duration of the trek. For the lower regions, it is free. On the higher trails, you may have to pay for this facility.
Do I need Special Permits for March?
The Annapurna Base Camp trek doesn’t need any extra permits to do the trek in March. You only need two regular permits.
TIMS (Trekkers Information Management System)
ANCAP (Annapurna Conservation Area entry Permit).
March with its perfect weather and temperatures is the perfect time for treks in Nepal.
Annapurna Base Camp in March offers heavenly views of the majestic Himalayas in Nepal. You can view the forests and flora of the Annapurna Base Camp in all its beauty and aroma.
Annapurna Base Camp trek is a comfortable and relatively easy trek of Nepal suitable for people of all ages.
If you have any further questions or queries regarding this trek, feel free to contact us. You can also customize your trip as per your convenience.